A pergola is a small free-standing structure, though it can be attached to your home in one of several ways. The roof is generally latticed or sliding drapery and its posts generally don't have walls or curtains, though they can if a homeowner prefers. Pergolas are adaptable to a variety of design styles. Adding a pergola to an outdoor space can offer a number of advantages.
Advantages of Adding a Pergola
1) Subdivide your space - When paired with a patio, outdoor fire feature, bench or table, a pergola can create an outdoor room both set apart from your yard and enjoying circulation from it. This adds a unique flow to your outdoor space.
2) Add gardening area - Whether you prefer potted plants hanging from the lattice or climbing plants using the pergola posts as a trellis, a pergola can add support for greenery outside of your home.
3) Protection from sun and rain - With a canopy or a dense covering of leafy plants, a pergola can provide shade when it's hot out and shelter when it rains. This allows you to enjoy the outdoors through a wider range of weather.
4) Improve your privacy - Adding a pergola to your yard and enhancing it with curtains or lattices of plants can give you a quiet space, out of sight from housemates or neighbors. Such a space can be a welcome retreat when you want to gather your thoughts.
5) Add visual (and vertical) interest to your yard - While most landscaping takes place low near the ground, and much of what rises above your ground is organic, a pergola can add a tall, architectural counterpoint to your space. This can intrigue the eye and provide a welcome counterpoint to the rest of your yard's design.
6) Raise your home's value - A beautiful and usable outdoor space is a big benefit to your home's overall value. While hopefully you'll stay to enjoy your pergola for many years, if selling your home is in your future, a pergola can enchant potential buyers and potentially raise your asking price.
Adding a pergola can make a big difference in your yard.
If you want to learn more about pergolas and other topics in outdoor design, contact Mid America Sales.